Wednesday 16 May 2012

Set in stone

I started stone carving a year ago through meeting a Zimbabwean guy called Tawanda. His stuff is absolutely amazing - you can check it out here at Mystery in Stone. As you can see, the finished works on the website are pretty pricey but this reflects not only the quality of the stone (Zimbabwean Springstone/Soapstone) but the talent of the artists. I fell in love with this material almost immediately. This piece I made, 'Sleeping Creature', sold for £650.

 'Sleeping Creature' (from behind)

 'Sleeping Creature' (from above)

With this money I bought some more stone (it's expensive material) and shaped 'Head'. I'm currently working on a bear sculpture in my garden but the wet weather means that progress is slow. We need some sunshine!
'Head'



No comments:

Post a Comment